Tuesday 23 March 2010

Contradictions.

Humans are interesting aren’t they? Honestly, could there be a more confusing species? Apart from Tories I mean.
Contradictions in our opinions and personalities is one thing that I think makes us what we are. The biggest selling book of all time is seemingly based around contradictions.
I hope you follow what I mean. If not, let me start with one example that I believe I know quite well. Me.
  • I claim to be a working class northerner. I was actually born in Bristol and go to university in Winchester.
  • I go to art school but get frustrated with art and much prefer football.
  • I’m 5′6″ but work as a doorman.
  • I’m a cynic and a realist (read pessimist) but I can see beauty in the simplest of things.
  • I like to think I’m quite confident in my abilities but do like constant affirmation.
  • I like politics but hate it at the same time.
  • I love Leeds United but my god they don’t half piss me off.
See what I’m getting at? I bet you could make a similar list for yourself and people you know. The human race is a walking, talking contradiction. It’s interesting to me though, especially  with my current work exploring identity and British society. I think most of these contradictions come from our own self-image or how we portray ourselves to others. I think this idea and theme is something I want to try to nail down and highlight in future work. It would make whatever (or whoever) I’m writing or creating feel far more human and less stereotypical or caricatured.

I like to think I’m good at writing but consistently close with the thought “well that was a shambles”.

No comments: